Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Canada, O Canada

Canada is a beautiful adventure.

Late yesterday afternoon, I entered Canada via Calais, Maine (pronounced "callous" by the locals).  I drove northeast along the coast until early evening, when the fog became so thick that I had to pull over for the night.

The owner of the Clipper Shipp Motel told me that my room had a gorgeous view of the bay, but I couldn't see anything through the soup, so i had to take his work for it.

For the first time in nearly a month, I was alone, and in a place I had never been.  I stretched out on the bed and fell asleep.

In the morning, when I woke up, it looked like i was on top of the world, all shimmery water, cotton puff clouds, and ethereal fog. The sun comes up early in this part of the world, and i realized that i was now on Atlantic Time, an hour earlier than I was used to.

I've been going like a mad woman for the past couple of months and the effects are starting to show on my body, which is screaming for rest, water, and nourishing food. Although i keep feeling like i am coming down with something, I just remember that my Aunt Marge, another one of my role models, actually willed away at least one heart attack, and she's living a full, energetic life at 88.


My hope was to get to Prince Edward Island by early evening, but i underestimated the distance and my financial situation.  I was running low on gas, so I decided to stop for the night in Port Elgin, the last stop before the massive bridge leading out to PEI.

Port Elgin is rural.  There is one store that sells gas, alcohol, and convenience food.  There is a restaurant.  And there is a lot of natural beauty.  I saw very few people, and i rode around the area, finally settling for the night at Fort Gaspereaux (Fort Gaspereaux).  I had a bottle of water, lots of reading material, pillows and blankets.  I took a long walk out to the point, before coming back to the car.  The wind blew through the pine trees, making the purple and white flowers dance.

No internet. no people. no nothing.
My friend, Andy Goddard, is the one who introduced me to the concept of "the wall," when traveling with other people.  It usually is encountered half way through a trip, and you know have hit it when you cannot stand the people who you are with. If you could, you would murder them in their sleep just because their breathing is so obnoxious, no matter how much you love them.













I have hit the wall, and since i am traveling with only me, it is difficult.  I am exhausted physically, emotionally, and financially.  This is where i really am on my own. I am slowing down and getting my act together, so i can really do this trip right.

So car camping it is and it iss actually really nice.  My car is comfortable, and the view when i woke up this morning was amazing. I watched the sun rise, and listened to the chirping birds.  A few men from the Canadian government came by, checking on mussel samples.  One of them assured me that these were the cleanest mussels in the world.

I cannot believe how thrown off by the time change I am.

This afternoon, I decided to set out to find a town with more going on, so i went back a few exits to a small town called Sackville. I found a shady spot near the Bill Johnstone Memorial Park, and settled in, which was good, because i ran out of gas.

It's ok, though, because i'm expecting a check to be deposited in my bank account tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I've just caught up on all of your adventures thus far. I love traveling with you! Laurel.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great week in Canada! XO

    ReplyDelete