Sunday, September 27, 2015

Going West

Friday morning, I left Milwaukee, and drove west through southern Wisconsin, where i stopped for a late lunch in Hillsborough, Wisconsin (the Czech Capital of Wisconsin), at Barbie's Kitchen - "the finest eating establishment in town." Set off through southern Minnesota, before pulling off in Rochester Minnesota.  The sun was still high in the sky, and i needed to stretch my legs, but i was not feeling the vibe in Rochester.  After stopping for gas at a mini market, i got back on the road and continued west through Minnesota, until i reached Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Driving at night turned out to be a good thing, with few cars or trucks on the road, and without the glaring sunlight that was giving me a headache and making my eyes tired.  I let my mind wander as the music played, and got a lot of thinking done, mostly about the healing time i spent with Patty and Charlie in Milwaukee.

On Saturday, I talked to my good friend in Vero Beach, Kitty Kennedy, as a i careened across the state of South Dakota, stopping to see the Corn Palace, a building made entirely out of corn.  I couldn't get into the actual building, because the Dakota Weslyan Homecoming Parade was taking place.

The Badlands
Saturday, 9/26/2015







Wind Cave National Park 
Saturday, 9/26/2015 


Hot Springs, South Dakota
Sunday, 9/28/2015



Crawford, Nebraska
Sunday, 9/26/2015


On Sunday, I left Hot Springs, South Dakota before the sun came up and headed south to Fort Collins, Colorado.  As i entered Wyoming, i was overwhelmed by the sky.  i had to pull over at a rest stop to get my bearings and get inside, away from the sun. My air conditioning conked out, and there was still an hour and a half of driving before i reached the home of my friend, Susan Cooper, and her husband, Rod Page.

As the full blood moon rose, Susan served organic cosmos around the fire pit on their back deck, and we got caught up on things.  Rod put together a deli board, laden with roast beef, ham, cheese, and really good bread.  Susan had put together a welcome basket for me that included nasal spray and eye drops, and after reveling under the moon, she showed me to my gorgeous sleeping quarters, and, once again, i fell asleep with a smile on my face.

Fort Collins, Colorado
Sunday, 9/27/2015 














No comments:

Post a Comment