Sunday, October 25, 2015

Wanderlust


Wanderlust: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world.


Around the World in Eighty Days - Trailer

My dad took me to see this movie when i was seven years old, and it made a lasting impression on me.  My parents already were filled with wanderlust and traveled as much as they could to Europe, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.  We went to see this movie at the Fort Hill Theater in Yonkers, New York, on a school night, because my mom was traveling somewhere with her sisters, who were all rabid travelers.

The movie made enough of an impression on me that nearly a half a century later, I struck out on my own adventure, seeing the USA in a year.  It's been almost four months since i started out, and I am so glad i took the first step.  I love waking up in the morning in a new place, wondering what to see and do first.  I love the fact that if i don't like a place, i can keep moving.

I've been exploring the Napa Valley over the past week, and my dad is definitely in the seat beside me, pointing things out and I can hear his voice sometimes.

"Chlo, look to the left.  AMF," he said, into my ear.

"AMF, dad?"

"Another fucking mountain," replied my funny dad.


In addition to my parents, I have brought along a cast of characters from my past, including critical bosses, controlling boyfriends, and other negative nellies.  The Badlands of South Dakota was where I let most of them out, but a few have managed to let themselves back into the car.  These are the ones I have to watch, since they are voices that lead me down the bad roads, both in reality and in my mind.  It is essential that I follow the light, and stay alert for those voices in the car telling me to veer off the road into negativity.


San Francisco
Photo taken at Indian Rock Park
Berkeley,  California

Photo title: Fata Morgana


The good news is that I have also brought along many positive voices of  family and friends in Vero and all along the way, who have been so incredibly loving and supportive of me and taking this trip.  They get to stay in the car.  And they talk louder.  


No comments:

Post a Comment