Thursday, February 25, 2016

Although I was up at 5:30, looking for a sub job, I didn't get one until nearly 9:00 am.  Finally got a sweet one teaching fourth grade at 9:45 am, and it was only twelve miles away.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day, near seventy degrees.

When i arrived, the teacher was still there, not feeling well, getting things ready.  She described her class as "challenging".  I went right out to recess duty, introducing myself to a few teachers.  The fifth grade teacher was a doll, very kind.  The fourth grade teacher, not so much.  She was a yeller.  I would have hated her if i was a student. During recess, she told me to yell at the kids to stop them from running. During dance, she made me partner up with a kid who didn't want to participate.  I was so bad, mixing up my right and left. The poor kid was so happy when i got dizzy from twirling, and had to stop.

I had to use my 'scary teacher' voice with this group.  Immediately, i sent three of them to the principal, because they were so intentionally disruptive.  A teacher who was supposed to show up to teach a lesson didn't, so i winged it.  Luckily, the kids were studying fractions, and several of them brought in treats to divide and eat.  For the rest of the day, the kids worked on projects on their chrome books, submitting their work to their teacher by e-mail.

I earned every penny today.  When I taught full time, I didn't understand why i couldn't grocery shop after a day of teaching.  or why dinner some nights was peppermint stick ice cream. My jaw was so tired from a day of talking and nights of grinding.  Now i see clearly how physically grueling teaching is.  I always meant to get to the gym, but i was so tired by the end of the day.

Good teachers make teaching look easy and fun. Some even make it look effortless, like anyone can do it. But anyone cannot do it.  It is exhausting to have to pull out scary teacher, and i was only with these students for 3.5 hours.  But if i have to go back tomorrow, I've set the tone.


No comments:

Post a Comment