Saturday, April 23, 2016


Had a great ride yesterday.  Pulled off for lunch around Pismo Beach, and found a really nice deli, and a friendly waitress.  Got a ruben to go, and galvanized myself for my trek across the desert.

The scenery was amazing, driving down 101, and then across 40, through pinnacles and needles, and into Arizona, as the sun set behind me, casting a gorgeous pink light on the buttes.  

Prince died on Thursday night, so I have been listening to a lot of tributes.

Arrived in Glendale, Arizona at 11:30 pm last night, even though i ran out of gas in the desert, just like everyone warned me not to do. I totally spaced, not giving a thought to my tank, mesmerized by the desert, and then the empty light went on.  I found a safe place to pull off the highway in Joshua Forest, 16 miles from Wickenburg, and called AAA.  It took about an hour, under the full moon, for the guy to arrive with enough gas to get me to Wickenburg.  AND I DIDN'T GET RAPED OR MURDERED.  I did have to go to the bathroom really badly, though.  

After I filled my tank up and emptied my bladder, I got back on the road, and was stopped by a fourteen year old policeman for doing 60 in a 45 mile zone and for having a license plate holder that covered too much plate.  He said he couldn't tell what state i was from, with those peaches. I said they weren't peaches.  They were oranges. He gave me a warning and sent me on my way.  

Jim, the oldest Shutrump cousin, and Jaci Nuth had a slew of people (that is the only way to describe the crowd that is our family) to their house this afternoon, and we spent hours chatting, eating, drinking, and listening to music. It was so relaxing and joyous, with over a hundred people, a mere fraction of the entire family, attending.  

my cousins - Gerard Hoyt and Carole Nuth Petrillo


      

more cousins - victoria hoyt and michelle humphrey cook


cousin-in-law Vince Cook


cousins Joyce Nuth and Helen Nuth Italiano


cousin and host of the weekend Jim Nuth




No comments:

Post a Comment