Sunday, April 24, 2016

Viva Las Vegas!  Needless to say, i was overwhelmed by the Strip.  What a place.  The drive out of Arizona was fun, with Carole, my cousin, riding with me for the first two hours, and then her sister, Helen, riding with me for the next two hours.  

In the tradition of our grandfather, Fred Shutrump, Jim entertained all of us at an incredibly luxurious, decadent, delicious brunch at his country club.  Our grandfather would rent a hotel ballroom to feed his family at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, once his children began having lots of children.  What a brood we have.  I don't feel so all alone anymore.  

I got to spend a lot of time with my cousin, Michelle, and her husband, Vince, which was fun.  Earlier in this trip, I stayed with them on my way out to California.  

After brunch, Carole and I were supposed to be following Christy, her other sister, out of Arizona.  But we got to talking and we ended up losing her and Helen within three miles of the club.  We told them to just go ahead, and we would find our way to Vegas on our own.
We laughed as Carole told me about her gambling limit.  I asked her what happened when she reached her limit and she said that, often, she increased it.  We had a great time, talking about our parents and good memories.  

Midway to Vegas, we stopped for gas and snacks, and Helen joined me, and Carole went with Christy.  Again, the laughs were abundant, especially about our family.  I told her about meeting my biological siblings this coming week, and she was so thrilled to hear about it.  I am surrounded by Helens - my grandmother, my birth mother, my mom's middle name, my niece, my cousin.  

When we got to  the Paris Hotel, I had to go to the bathroom so badly, and was chagrined to find a huge line for the valet and to check in.  I don't know how i did it, but i managed to hold it, and with only one kidney. After a quick stop in my room to dump my bag, I met my cousins, and we walked up the Strip to Caesar's. 

It was hard to believe that we could be hungry, after the amazing brunch, but we were. We ended up finding a food stand tucked under Caesars, and i had a meh asian chicken salad. Carole had a burger that was bloody. Helen had a pretzel.  

I was exhausted and they wanted to meet their brother, so I went  back to the hotel and went to bed at 10:00. I know, i am a huge loser. but i am also a sucker for a comfy bed with clean sheets and air conditioning.  









No comments:

Post a Comment