Friday, October 9, 2015

The Traveler's Cook Book

Throughout my life, I've been really fortunate to be surrounded by good cooks.  My mom was one.  So was my grandmother. Everywhere I've lived, I have made friends who liked to cook for other people. Since I like to eat, they were great matches.

I'm not sure what i am going to call it, but after spending time with so many friends along the way who cook for me, I thought i would compile a cook book of all the foods served to me by my generous hosts.  Living alone for so long, and being so tired from being sick, I had gotten into a food rut, making the same easy things, or more likely, getting prepared stuff from the grocery store, carryout or drive through from restaurants, or having the same crappy food delivered.  I lived in Vero Beach for fourteen years and even the good restaurants got boring. File that whine under "First World Problems."

Thanks to Pinterest, I managed to expand my food choices a little. But i still managed to get stuck in a  routine, using the same recipes again and again.

Since I've been on the road, though, my taste buds have been treated to all kinds of delights that taste even more delightful because they are prepared with love by good friends.

So as i get the recipes from the chefs, i will post them.

Joe Fenton and Eileen Kelley - Jacksonville Beach, Florida
     Joe's Grilled Salmon
     Eileen's baked cauliflower and brussel sprouts

Missy and Kurt Caywood - Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    cajun shrimp boil

Paul and Benesa Maiorana - Stafford, Virginia
    vineyard picnic lunch - humuus, tabouli, stuffed shells, strawberries, grapes,
   
Julianna and Scott Fischer - Naugatuck, Connecticut
     crockpot barbecued chicken and steamed vegetables

NYLO - Warwick, Rhode Island
     clear clam chowder with smoked applewood bacon

Bill and Leslie Flynn - Harwich, Massachusetts
     cranberry juice spritzers, hot dogs, burgers

Mary Lou Blute - Harwich, Massachusetts
      shrimp scampi

Kathryn O'Leary Shilale - Osterville, Massachusetts
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

Beth and Barry Lewis - Portland, Maine
   Barry's Magically seasoned pork loin and purple cabbage slaw
   Beth's Celery soup and salad

Tom and Jayne Shutrump - Boardman, Ohio
     Pork Tenderloin with ginger garlic sauce, mashed potatoes, pie

Mike Evans' marinated peppers and crackers
 

Patricia Hoben and Charlie Carter - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
     grilled salmon
     beer soaked brats
     asian chicken thighs
     brussel sprouts and bacon
     raclette
    arugula salad; mustard grilled chicken

Odd Duck - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Bacon wrapped gouda stuffed dates


Susan and Rod Page - Fort Collins, Colorado
    Rod's Deli Board
    Susan's chicken and rice soup, cauliflower gratin

Michele and Vince Cook - Broomfield, Colorado
   Tortilla Chicken Soup, Pumpkin Blueberry Muffins, Pumpkin Tortellino al fredo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment