Monday, February 1, 2016




Toward the end of my teaching career, I got very efficient and organized and one of my colleagues started calling me "Little Miss on Top of Things," because i had most things completed ahead of time.

That's who i felt like when i woke up this morning at 5:00 am.  I had all my ducks in a row as far as coffee and provisions for a day working at Tolinas Elementary School.  Blew dry my hair and even tamed it with combs for a more professional look.  Got to school five minutes early.  Made a cheery entrance and felt pretty good about myself, until Kerry, the school secretary, informed me that the job was tomorrow.

I took at as a sign that today needed to be a writing day, and either a walking or swimming day.

I called Lulu from the school parking lot and we laughed about it. She told me how proud she was of me for getting int he car and getting away from Vero.  I am proud of me too.

Out here, I have a future that makes me want to get up in the morning, and to take care of myself.  Every day is an adventure, where i am going to be surprised at least once.  I am so happy that i can still be surprised.

My teacher friends would get the humor of this morning.  I now see how lovely it is to have a calm morning, without the steady surge of adrenaline that pumped through my body on those mornings at Osceola.  There was no anxiety because i am getting good at handling uncertainty.

Whenever I meet another teacher, most of the time, I feel like I am meeting a member of my tribe.  As I have said over and over, I am so grateful to have been a teacher and to have known so many good and caring teachers, as a student, and as a colleague.  The best teachers I know are the ones who see every student as a human being, right where they are, for who they are.

I have a lot of gripes about public education, but none of them have to do with teachers.  In all the discussion about education reform, teachers and students are the only critical constants.  Teachers want to teach, not engage in an inane political process.  That is how the political industrial public education machine has been allowed to flourish.  The lack of respect people have toward teachers specifically and intellect in general is disappointing, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment