Thursday, April 7, 2016



Day 4 subbing at an elementary school, in the special education resource room, with some of the economically poorest students in the district.  The kids are enthusiastic and polite, and the teachers are kind and gentle.  Substitute teaching is like playing school, with all of the best parts of being a teacher, and none of the crap.  

It makes me angry to find out that this school recycles, and the cash from recycling goes to pay delinquent student lunch accounts.  The superintendent could probably shave a little off of his car and travel allowance, to pay for these lunches.  Then the recycling money could be used for something that actually benefits the students.  

One of the third graders got suspended this morning.  He has been in trouble for a while.  He and his five siblings just got settled into their grandmother's apartment, when she got evicted. Now the seven of them are living in a homeless shelter.  The principal brought him back to my classroom, and he was peaceful at the computer for the rest of the day.  He's hostile and angry, as anyone would be if they had not slept well in their own bed, let alone in an unfamiliar bed in a noisy shelter.    

Took my car to Firestone for an oil change, and then locked myself in my room to study more real estate stuff.  The temperature dropped into the 60s. It's a crisp night, which is fine by me.  

Pauli, my friend in Stafford, VA, sent me a huge box of magazines he knows i love to read.  That's a good friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment